Carbon Reduction Plan
Business/Supplier Name: Dacey Ltd (T/a Orthotix & T/a Dacey Orthotic Solutions)
Publication Date: 01/02/2023
We are committed to achieving Net Zero emissions by 2030.
Commitment to achieving Net Zero
Dacey Ltd is committed to achieving Net Zero emissions by 2030
Baseline emissions footprint
Baseline emissions are a record of the greenhouse gases that have been produced in the past and were produced prior to the introduction of any strategies to reduce emissions. Baseline emissions are the reference point against which emissions reduction can be measured.
Baseline year: 2020/21 (01/11/2020 to 31/10/2021)
Additional details relating to the Baseline Emissions Calculations
Emissions data had not been published in the years prior to 2019/20, and in 2020 our new ownership team took control of Dacey Ltd following a management buyout. Therefore, the 20/21 financial year is our base year. The methodology for measuring our carbon footprint is in line with the Greenhouse Gas protocol and the BEIS Environmental Reporting Guidelines. The calculations were completed on the ‘Business Carbon Calculator” by Normative using the UK Government emissions factors.
Please note years 20/21 & 21/22 saw the business impacted significantly due to Covid pandemic. Consequently the business pivoted from its typical operation and imported high volumes of PPE from across the world to urgently supply UK government organisations.
Baseline year emissions:
|Baseline year emissions:|
|SCOPE 3 TOTAL: 2789.8
Upstream transports & Distribution: 669.3
Business Travel: 0
Employee Commuting: 28.1
Downstream Transport & Distribution: 1952.87
Capital Goods: 55.23
Current Emissions Reporting
|Reporting Year: 2021/22 (01/11/2021 to 31/10/2022) 2022/23 Report will be published Feb 2024|
|SCOPE 2||0 (100% Renewable energy provided for all operations from solar panel system installed – outlined below)|
|SCOPE 3 TOTAL: 2401.9
Upstream transports & Distribution: 491.73
Business Travel: 0
Employee Commuting: 10.1
Downstream Transport & Distribution: 1840
Capital Goods: 5.87
Emissions Reduction Targets
Prior to the new ownership team taking control of Dacey Ltd there was no previous emissions reduction commitment.
In order to continue our progress to achieve Net Zero, since our baseline year (2020/21) we have now adopted the following carbon reduction target.
We project that our carbon emissions will decrease over the next five years to a total of 1155 tCO2e by 2026/27. This is a reduction of 65% from 2020/21 and our projection is to reach net zero carbon by 2030. It is envisaged that carbon offsetting or technology such as carbon capture and storage will be deployed to achieve the difference between actual and net zero carbon.
2022/23 Report will be published Feb 2024
Progress against these targets can be seen in the graph below. The dashed line indicates our projected decarbonisation to net carbon zero by 2030.
Carbon Reduction Projects
Completed Carbon Reduction Initiatives
The following environmental management measures and projects have been completed or implemented since the 2020 baseline. The measures will be in effect when performing the contract.
Our carbon reduction projects from calendar year 2020 to 2022 have included:
- Move to agile working that has resulted in reduction of company business travel and, especially, commuting. Introduction of home working policy for certain staff members.
- Elimination of paper-based documents such as pay-slips, timesheets, employee handbooks, orderbooks and introduction of digital alternatives.
- Reduced dependency on office space.
- Encouragement of staff to use low carbon transport methods such as walking, cycling and public transport as well as a scheme to promote use of low or zero emission cars, including provision of EV charging points.
- Professional video conferencing suite installed and utilised where possible.
- Installation of LED Lighting and motion sensors throughout warehouse.
- Building management systems have been upgraded to reduce energy usage resulting in an improved Environmental Protection Certificate banding.
- Signing up to the Green Growth Pledge with the Welsh Government which will assist us in taking pro-active steps towards improving sustainability. Additionally, we’ve completed a Green Growth Assessment which provides a metric against which we can annually review our performance with regards to sustainability social impact and emissions.
- Installation of 475 PV Solar Panel system installed on the south aspect of warehouse generating 100% renewable energy and completely removing our need to purchase electricity from the grid/suppliers.
Ongoing Carbon Reduction Initiatives
Our carbon reduction projects from calendar year 2023 onwards include further measures such as:
- Increase warehouse storage capacity to consolidate freight orders from Asia and rest of the world, reducing frequency annually.
- All product packaging to become FSC® accredited so that our own branded ranges and exclusive partners are all utilising packaging that has come from responsibly managed forests, where biodiversity is maintained and protected by 2030.
- Product materials utilised in all our own branded ranges and manufactured goods to be reviewed including textile/plastic/metal to ensure we transition over to recycled or recyclable alternatives by 2030.
- Increase CADCAM integrated manufacturing processes to include further 3D printed lasts, fitting shoes and casts, thus reducing the use of leather and other materials.
- Adoption of environmental standard ISO 14001, accreditation and implementation by 2024.
- Integrating digital IT systems linked to our back end stock management, financing and warehousing functions to become a completely paperless environment.
- Transition to zero emission vehicles. All vehicles purchased or leased to be ULEV towards goal of 90% of total fleet low, ultra-low or zero emissions by 2030.
- Requiring suppliers to report their carbon footprint data to us to improve the accuracy of carbon measurement and engaging with suppliers to support our net zero goal.
- All suppliers to have produced their own net zero target and plan by 2030 to align with our target status of net zero.
Declaration & Sign Off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans.
Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol corporate standard1 and uses the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting².
Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with SECR requirements, and the required subset of Scope 3 emissions have been reported in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard³.
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been reviewed and signed off by the Executive Leadership Team.
Name: Paul Cooper
Position: Chief Executive Officer
Date: February, 2023